Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

How We Prepare 2 Months' Worth Of Raw

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Hi feed my dog, the dog I'm pet sitting, and my cats (only partial for cats) PMR and this is how we prepare everything.

This is the first time we prepared our PMR. In this batch we had duck, chicken hearts, chicken feet, chicken drumsticks, duck gizzards, duck necks, beef liver, salmon head, pork cubes, and beef cubes. I use stew cubes because I can get them for very cheap and both the dogs I am feeding are small (under 10 lbs), so it's easier to portion it out :) I give them more complicated chews by picking up "whole prey" and adding it into their rotation. I usually end up overfeeding on these days, but I haven't noticed weight gain so I'm not worried.1793_10152740013380657_971439090_n.jpg

My cat stealing a beef cube lol! He's the reason why the cats are still on part ground -- he's extremely finicky, and his overbite prevents him from chewing up bigger prey. Even when I give him "PMR" meals, I have to cut the pieces into smaller chunks (the size of the beef cubes are pretty much as large as he can get... if he gets anything larger it takes him forever to eat it and he will usually give up later).

401331_10152740014960657_1043925338_n.jp

Portioning out the organs. This is how I was doing it for the last few times, but I have decided to try doing weekly organ meals instead this time (with a boney part of course).

484267_10152740018440657_1517481240_n.jp

531686_10152740022055657_185196285_n.jpg

This time on the menu: Pork tongue, pork kidney, chicken liver, pork heart, chicken heart, whole duck, quails, beef cubes, pork riblets, and beef neck.

1004832_10153230224895657_1953347624_n.j

• BeagleCountry, Iorveth, Swinn and 3 others like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
I love it! Looks like you do a really really good job prepping meals. I wish I was that organized LOL!

BeagleCountry

BeagleCountry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTexas

Love your organization. Thanks for sharing.

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Haha thanks :) The only time I'm organized is when I prepare raw! :P

Well so far my dog seems to be doing fine with weekly organ nights... but my other long term foster seems to be having a little trouble with organ days followed by no bone days afterwards. Looking into adding more bone in her diet so that she doesn't get diarrhea again lol

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

That is a pretty awesome selection, and I love the containers! So organized.

I'd be knocking back a beer, too, if I had all that portioning to do! ;) :P

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

This has inspired me to be more organized. When we get ice cream we get the washable containers so we can reuse them. I use them to store Iorveth's boneless in. He gets fed twice a day and will probably stay that way because he eats 2.5 lbs per day and I think that feeding it all at once would be to much for his belly. 

Anyhow! I am SO going to get some smaller containers to do this with. 

• Prey Model Raw and GimMom like this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

That is a pretty awesome selection, and I love the containers! So organized.

I'd be knocking back a beer, too, if I had all that portioning to do! ;) :P

Thanks :) I bought them at the dollar store lol. They are BPA free and are just about the perfect size for Meeko and the cats. Some of the more larger/awkward stuff I put in plastic bags, but besides that for their boneless meals and some of the smaller bone inclusive meals, it's perfect.

This has inspired me to be more organized. When we get ice cream we get the washable containers so we can reuse them. I use them to store Iorveth's boneless in. He gets fed twice a day and will probably stay that way because he eats 2.5 lbs per day and I think that feeding it all at once would be to much for his belly. 

Anyhow! I am SO going to get some smaller containers to do this with. 

Yeah I had to get creative since my dog is so darn small (only 7.5 lbs so eats about 0.18 lbs a day lol) :P

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Thanks :) I bought them at the dollar store lol. They are BPA free and are just about the perfect size for Meeko and the cats. Some of the more larger/awkward stuff I put in plastic bags, but besides that for their boneless meals and some of the smaller bone inclusive meals, it's perfect.

Yeah, I'm going to have to get creative for the cats eventually. They'll probably be on that much raw, too.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Yeah I had to get creative since my dog is so darn small (only 7.5 lbs so eats about 0.18 lbs a day lol) :P

HA! I have three with my smallest being 56 lbs and still growing. We feed more per day than your dog weighs! My containers will be significantly bigger. If only they ate small meals. :)

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

HA! I have three with my smallest being 56 lbs and still growing. We feed more per day than your dog weighs! My containers will be significantly bigger. If only they ate small meals. :)

Hahaha yeah. I am an undergrad student with very limited income... which is why I opted for a small dog lol. He costs me maybe $1 a day and that's just from buying meat at grocery stores :P

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I guess you could say the fact that we butcher ourselves is our way of being "creative" when it comes to affording quality meat LOL

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

I guess you could say the fact that we butcher ourselves is our way of being "creative" when it comes to affording quality meat LOL

Haha if I could afford a giant chest freezer (and if I had a larger dog), I would totally go your route! I don't know if I could handle it though. I'm a big wuss when it comes to butchering meat lol. I can do non-furry/non-feathery ones but if I have to skin it and all.. :| So much respect for you guys who do it all yourself!

• GimMom likes this

kdog

kdog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

well im wondring if there is a reason we or I cnat just feed once a day, I have big dogs, and think my prep time would be hard with work and all...what r yyour thoughts on putting everyting into one meal a day ?

Thank you

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
We feed only once daily and have done so for years.

I actually think one meal per day for most dogs is ideal so that you can give larger chunks of meat that they have to work at.

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

well im wondring if there is a reason we or I cnat just feed once a day, I have big dogs, and think my prep time would be hard with work and all...what r yyour thoughts on putting everyting into one meal a day ?

Thank you

Yeah I feed once a day only -- my dogs are so small it's impossible to break down their food into even smaller portions lol! They eat about 3 oz each...

Aspen

Aspen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

is it hard on the dogs to go from 2 feedings to one a day?   I'm wondering if it would make prep easier to just put it into one container. I think their internal clocks would have a hard time getting used to it though!

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

I feed 2x a day on kibble and for awhile on raw but my crew seemed to have a lot of hunger pukes on that schedule, plus it was a pain to chop what little they eat into two portions.  They didn't have any problem adjusting, if anything I would say they prefer it. 

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

is it hard on the dogs to go from 2 feedings to one a day?   I'm wondering if it would make prep easier to just put it into one container. I think their internal clocks would have a hard time getting used to it though!

No, I mean, one of my guys gets really hungry in the afternoon, but I usually train with him so he gets a lot of treats lol. If not, I usually giving a bully stick or a RMB (something useless like chicken feet) to keep him occupied. My foster holds it fine with just one meal a day. My dogs are so small it would be impossible to feed them twice a day lol!

Even my fosters on kibble were usually fed once a day out of convenience. Usually worked for us just fine :) They might be a little hungry for the first few days but they'll adjust.

• lindseydomanik likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Gradually get to once a day feedings by making one meal slightly larger as you make the second meal slightly smaller. Slowly phase one meal out. I do recommend feeding meals once per day on a random schedule. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO