Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Demodex And/or Pyoderma

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Because we're a bit on the not rich side to spend all kinds of money on tests and I still have yet to find a vet I like :) Has anyone's dog (or maybe even cat or other pet!) HAD pyoderma/demodex and resolved while feeding raw ? If so, did you do something else in addition to going through the transition phase? Would you recommend medicated shampoo?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
How bad is the demodex?

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
I posted some pix on raw chat, but none of the bumps/spots have popped or burst since we adopted him. Some bumps are pink, crusted over, or clumps of dead skin. His skin is pretty dry and flaky, but the patches of fur missing are mostly on his legs and around his butt. majority of the bumps though are on his body.

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
Sorry, the pix are on meet mickey in pictures and videos

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Being no more than it is, it could go away with a raw diet. Part of what triggers demodex is low immunity, and that will build with time on the diet. Did your vet give you any shampoo? Maybe a bath every week or so just for a little bit would be good also. I would give it a try for some time and see how it goes.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Sounds more like a skin infection instead of demodex

The fact that they're crusting over is a good thing, usually means they're starting to heal on their own

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Jenny - Thanks for the info. I had a bit of trouble trying to figure out how exactly demodex was 'obtained' since his medical paperwork was so wishy washy (it said 'suspected' 'pyoderma/demodex', animal was given ivermectin and medicated baths) We have already given him 3 baths with just a regular oatmeal shampoo, mostly due to the fact he was a stinky little puppy. I've also been brushing him to loosen up the clumps

Natalie - It may sound crazy to see progress already so fast but his bumps have def gone done! :startle:  He had two, huge bumps on his underbelly and one of them is now just a patch of missing fur that's already starting to grow back. Plus, even my husband says his coat is starting to feel and look softer.

• naturalfeddogs and Jordann like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

That's awesome! I'm so glad things look like they are getting better!  :goodjob:

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Glad to hear things are better. Still improving?
  • Erica likes this

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

YESSSSS! :D Going to post pictures very soon, he blazed through pork no problem (maybe beef also oops, but either way he's doing fabulous on red meats)

• Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Love the new sig picture! And LOL at Pigbull

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Thanks Jordann :) Yes, we determined that Max is a horse puppy hybrid and Mickey is a darned pig puppy hybrid because he literally DOES NOT stop eating. ever. and he snorts a lot lol. Everytime I walk into the kitchen he thinks I'm getting him food, or waits for me to put something "smelly" on top of the counter hoping he can jump up and get a bite >.>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO