Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hunger Pukes And Then Refusing Meals

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Last night, Abby had hunger pukes around 12hrs since she ate breakfast, so I gave her a small meal which she ate. I thought it was a little weird that she was eating like she didn't want to - she probably didn't but couldn't refuse food (she's a lab after all. lol.) My gut feeling was right, her tummy wasn't feeling well and she puked her dinner in about 30mins so I cleaned it up and tossed out a bed (it was gross).

I waited about an hour and fed her a small handful of chicken breast meat and she ate it like normal. I had her sleep in her crate (and me on the floor) in case she threw up overnight. She ended up throwing up overnight, but I slept like the dead so I didn't hear her. When I woke up this morning, she had eaten it sometime during the night. This morning, she refused breakfast...(rather, she was picking at her food which NEVER happens). I am planning on fasting her until about 6 or 7pm (a few hours before her usual dinner time).

Has anyone had this happen before? Should I make a vet appt for tomorrow? I have considered several times to feed her some kibble but I know I shouldn't because if she's having an upset tummy, then the type of food shouldn't make a difference. :(

EDIT:

10minutes after posting this, she puked again but it wasn't foamy bile. It was more like liquid bile with some chunks of undigested chicken. Ew.

• CurtisDaw likes this

Berna

Berna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Yes, I would take her to the vet. Better safe than sorry. Does she have bowel movements? You could be dealing with an obstruction. 

• CurtisDaw likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I think I would go to the vet also, just to be safe. The refusing to eat is what bothers me. It may not be hunger pukes, or then again it may be. But, just to be sure, I would make a trip to the vet.

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
She had a bowel movement this morning, so I dont think its an obstruction. She doesnt eat anything thats not food..I gave her blanched chicken breast meat last night and this morning and she has kept it down - TG for small mercies! It was probably either a piece of bad chicken or hunger pukes. One more night on the couch on night duty for me... @_@ She is acting normal this morning, so I think the worst of it is over.
  • naturalfeddogs and flossboss like this

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

After about 36hrs of not pooping, I took her to the vet today. We ruled out obstruction from foreign object bc Abby hasn't eaten anything other than her food. Fecal test came back normal - no bad bacteria but not much good bacteria either. Vet told me to start giving her 1/2 teaspoon of yogurt per meal and just raw chicken meat in small meals throughout the day while her stomach adjusts to more food. No vomiting since yesterday afternoon and hoping it stays that way. She also got some sub-q fluids and a shot of B12 vitamin to help her system going.

I'm a little relieved to have soft serve brown poo 10min ago...LOL. But my concern is that she was straining. Gonna keep up the small meals + yogurt (it has 6 cultures in it! :) ). /sigh Gonna have to cancel the trip this weekend. Good thing it's a road trip and I was gonna take my own car... 

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

That sounds like good news! Just give it some time and it sounds like she will come around.

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Is there any possibility that her body isnt producing waste bc she's been on boneless meals since Sunday night? I wish I had asked the vet to show me how to palpate her tummy to see if she's in pain or otherwise uncomfortable. @_@

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Yes, she just doesn't have any food in her to make normal sized bowel movements.

This sort of thing happens every once in a while. Best to fast 24 hours and not give any food, unless your dog is uncontrollably vomiting (that's when you go to the vet). That usually does the trick, for future reference.
  • arie and flossboss like this

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Thanks for the info, Natalie. I've snuck in half a chicken hip(?) for her dinner today along with maybe about 6oz of chicken meat. She usually gets between 8-10oz of food per feeding (2x/day). But I fed her a little less meat and gave her a bit more yogurt 3hrs later - I don't want to find out how her stomach handles meat and yogurt in one meal. lol.

Other than little to no poop, she is normal and has been keeping food down and drinking water normally since Monday night. :)

No bowel movement since last night, but she hasn't gone on her last call potty walk yet. We'll see.

• Prey Model Raw, naturalfeddogs and Jordann like this

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
She finally went poo this morning - the brat! She didnt like the grassy areas around my house, so I had to drive her ass to my sister's where I knew she'd go cos she's more comfortable/picky/wantstopissmeoff. Lol. As you can tell, we're in a love-hate relationship. Haha. There was no form to her poo, but also not runny like diarrhea - but runnier than soft serve poo.

Question: should I just give her regular bone-in meals now that she's held food down since monday night? I have a bunch of chicken bones in my freezer now. @_@

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Bone in chicken, with skin/fat removed. Stay with that until poops firm, then slowly add the skin/fat back on. It sounds like she is heading back in the right direction! 

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Got it. Gonna pull some chicken bones outta the freezer and toss em back in with all that meat I deboned last night. She's damn lucky she's so stinkin' cute. Lol.
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Those eyes will get you every time! 

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Those eyes are lethal...lol!

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Update: SOLID POO! That is all..  :D

Never been so happy about poo before... LOL. Log poo is better than goop poo; at least I can pick it up. Gave her part of chicken quarter (no drummie) and the drummie bone for brekkie today. Still gonna keep giving her a tablespoon of yogurt in middle of the day. 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Keep up with what you've been doing for at Least a week. Give the body time to heal!

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Abby's poo has progressed from a log to mucous-ey log last night. This morning, she had normal poo again. Gonna stick to giving her a little bit more bone that before and yogurt 1x per day between meals. :) Need chickens to go on sale again. lol. 

JPsMom

JPsMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
I just need to say what I am sure has been said before. This raw feeding is like having a newborn baby. Lol "how's their poop? Yay for poop!" My oldest took Jasper out today, and she said he pooped while he was out there. I asked her how it looked and she looked at me as if I had grown 2 heads. Lol
  • Jordann and Erica like this

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
JPsMom, its rather funny how talking about human baby poop at the dinner table is acceptable in my family yet dog poop is huge taboo. Whats the difference other than species? Lol.

Excuse any typos made by my andriod phone.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
When I first made the switch, it was so hard not to take pictures of the hound's poops, because he never had consistent poops on kibble. Thankfully my friend saw how the poor guy's poops were, and she saw how uninterested in kibble they were. She has been in their lives for almost 4 years (we've only had them almost 5 years) so she has seen their journeys ... One being horribly overweight and one underweight. lol

I called my grandma all the time to update her on the poop statuses, because she's know the issues poor Calvin has had from day one. My in-laws know the problems, but my mother-in-law refuses to say poop or pee, let alone talk about it. Everybody poops. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO