Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Am I That Crazy!?

- - - - - modified diet kibble moderation puppy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

tommyoh

tommyoh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I will soon be welcoming a new English Setter pup into my home. Naturally I want to do what's best. I've read some books, lurked on forums, read kibble reviews...I'm try to learn. 

I do see the advantages of the raw meaty bone thing. The benefits to teeth and gums and good bacteria make perfect sense. I get it. I just feel like mixing in a bowl of grain-free kibble a couple-three days a week isn't going to hurt.

If a dogs digestive system is so bombproof (road kill, swamp water, goose poop) then shouldn't it be capable of handling a mixed menu just like my system can?  

My body processes different foods at different rates too. I'm doing ok and expect to live to about 90! I feel like there are many really good choices of high protein, high fat, low carb kibbles. I can add a raw egg, beef heart, liver, turkey, some fresh sardines or an emu (they're making a comeback here in Minnesota)...or give entire meals of the same. I also understand gluten, sugars, grains and carbs are bad. Too many are bad for me too. That's why I don't eat Captain Crunch cereal 3 times a day. Then again, I don't eat ribeye 5 days a week either.

Moderation in all things. Right? 

Ok you can throw your rotten tomatoes at me now. But honestly, I'm really open to hearing what everybody has to say. Like everybody else, I want to do what's best for my dog. 
So stay calm, tap into some logic and poke a hole in my thought process, and maybe I (we) can learn something from this thread. And by the way the pet food industry is out to kill our pets and I once knew a guy who's dog lived to be 37... don't qualify as support for an argument. 

Bring it. 

• ggjgintw39 likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Why not just feed 100% raw? You can avoid all the bad artificial junk and fillers, and just get the REAL nutrition they are designed to eat. I have started eating better myself by cutting out a lot of processed stuff, and I feel better. Sometimes even we can eat stuff that doesn't agree with our system, (usually processed) and have digestive issues. Dogs are the same way. Mixing kibble and raw is likely to cause something like that. 

• Jordann likes this

tommyoh

tommyoh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Occasionally kibble is just an easier solution, as is Kraft Macaroni and cheese, which I don't recommend eating every day either...but it has a place in the life of most families. Is it the single best thing I can feed my kids? No. Is it ok that I feed it to my kids occasionally? I would argue yes. .

Why can't I look at kibble in the same light? 

And, just to be clear, they get organic peanut butter, quinoa, kale, cage-free brown eggs and grass fed beef as well. 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
The difference between dogs and humans is that their digestive track is about 1/4 of the length of ours. If we feed them the occasional things that take a long time to digest and break down (kibble or plant based foods), and then give them food their body can break down quickly....you can set their digestive system up for failure. The reason why is the bacteria that is found on meat is usually harmless because it travels through their system so fast that it doesn't get the chance to really cause harm. Throw some kibble in there for that bacteria to cling to and sit for a while....boom you've got gastroenteritis.

Not only do you risk the chance of gastrointestinal problems, but you also set it up for a them to not get the full nutritional potential of their foods.

With that said, I know plenty of dogs who do just fine on kibble and raw. But I also know even more dogs that have not done well mixing the two.

I say, let your dog be your guide. If you truly want to add the kibble in a few times a week, see how things go. But if your dog struggles- pick either raw or kibble.
  • naturalfeddogs and Jordann like this

peppersmom1889

peppersmom1889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAnchorage AK

Personally, I started raw because of my dog's constant health issues and because I was always dissatisfied with kibble, even the expensive high quality ones. Then when I started researching raw feeding it made so much more sense to me than feeding kibble because dogs are carnivores, so they should eat like carnivores. I also found that raw feeding was cheaper than feeding "high quality" kibble, especially when I added up how much I used to spend on vet bills prior to raw feeding. The health benefits that I have observed from the switch to raw (high energy levels, great muscle definition, white teeth, shiny coat, healthy skin, tiny stools etc.) are enough for me to never feed kibble again. I just don't see a reason to incorporate kibble at all. 

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Occasionally kibble is just an easier solution, as is Kraft Macaroni and cheese, which I don't recommend eating every day either...but it has a place in the life of most families. Is it the single best thing I can feed my kids? No. Is it ok that I feed it to my kids occasionally? I would argue yes. .

Why can't I look at kibble in the same light? 

And, just to be clear, they get organic peanut butter, quinoa, kale, cage-free brown eggs and grass fed beef as well. 

Peanut butter, quinoa and kale aren't really anything that a dog is very able to digest, and get any nutrition out of.  Like Natalie said, you can try and mix the two and see how it goes, but likely you will ultimantly need to choose between the two. Kibble or raw.

tommyoh

tommyoh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Sorry for the mix up - when I said feed my kids that stuff I literally meant my children, my human children...I don't, however, serve them green tripe, beef heart or raw chicken.  

• naturalfeddogs likes this

tommyoh

tommyoh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

And by the way Natalie - thank you for putting some perspective on the dog's digestive tract - I heard it described as short and I've witnessed their super-human tolerance to bacteria - but I was never put two and two together. I can see how raw foods (higher bacteria) and kibble (slow to digest) don't play nice together.   

• Prey Model Raw, naturalfeddogs and Jordann like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Exactly....together they can definitely cause digestive turmoil. Keep us posted on what you decide to proceed with :)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

We are more than glad to help you out!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: modified diet, kibble, moderation, puppy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO