Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Getting Started

german shepherd megaesophagus myasthenia gravis

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

DMeadows

DMeadows

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

My two-year-old German Shepherd was diagnosed with megaesophagus and myasthenia gravis in February.  Based upon comments by some raw feeders on the Canine Megaesophagus Support Group (Facebook), I am considering starting Kona on a raw diet.  He has not eaten well for the past week, except for some small bites of raw calf liver which he nearly inhaled.  He goes to the vet tomorrow for bloodwork just to make certain that nothing is going on.  If I wanted to start him tomorrow, do I just buy chicken necks or chicken thighs and cut them into chunks?  I'm just not clear if I should be grinding up the meat or cutting it up.

• CurtisDaw likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

You want to feed chunks whole, chicken leg quarters whole. Don't cut the bones up.

DMeadows

DMeadows

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I don't mean to sound stupid, but I essentially just toss him a whole leg quarter and let him go at it?!

JPsMom

JPsMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Yep, that's how you do it! You want the food to be big enough so as to reduce the chance of him just swallowing it whole. You want them to give it at least a few good crunches before it goes down the hatch. The stomach does all the work digesting food, unlike humans where digestion starts in the mouth. That's why we chew. Dogs just need to chew enough to make it fit. I don't know what kind of eater your dog is, but if he is one that scarfs his food you can feed the chicken quarter frozen or partially frozen to force him to work on it more. I didn't see mentioned whether or not you have found and read the "getting started guide", it has a ton of really good information. You want to feed approximately 2-3% of your dog's current weight, adjusting the percentages if needed based on whether his is over or underweight..etc. I you haven't already, Give the guide a good read then see if it answers some questions, and if it creates more questions, ask away! :)
  • Jordann and flossboss like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Pretty much.....and it doesn't sound stupid at all. Throwing raw chicken parts to your dog is pretty foreign at this point I'm sure. 

Have you seen many of the raw feeding videos that demonstrates feeding raw meaty bones yet? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: german shepherd, megaesophagus, myasthenia gravis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO