Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

I'm Kathy

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

kathylcsw

kathylcsw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Virginia

Hello! I am Kathy and I have 2 dogs. Lola is a Jack Russell Terrier who turned 2 on June 1. I started her on partial raw when she was 4 months old. I kept adding more and more raw with less and less kibble until she went all raw at around 6 months old. I did not have any real issues while transitioning her.

Buster is a Toy Fox Terrier who will turn 2 on October 29. I started him on chicken wings and drummies the day I brought him home. He was 8 weeks old and a big 2 lbs! He was able to crunch through bone in about a week. I do still have issues with his poop but otherwise he has done great too. He seems to either have really hard poop or almost liquid poop with only some "normal" poop.

Lola does organ with no problems at all. I feed organ weekly and Lola gets her liver on Monday and her pancreas or kidney on Wednesday. Buster still can't tolerate all his liver in 1 meal so I break it up over 2 days. He can handle all his other organ in 1 meal.

I manage a decent variety for them with deer, beef, pork, and chicken being the bulk of their diet. I try to add in other proteins when I can get them. They get duck, lamb, and fish pretty regularly. I also feed goat, ostrich, and buffalo when I can get it. They get an egg about once per week and right now they are getting duck eggs.

I am able to feed them very cheaply because I have put time and effort into developing some decent sources. I get pork, beef, and lamb meat and organs from an agriculture department at Virginia Tech for anywhere from .25 per lb for trim to $1.95 per lb for heart, kidney, liver, and pancreas. I get beef and pork kidney and heart from a local organic farmer for $1 or so per pound. Plus I get tons of free meat by placing ads on Craiglist, Freecycle, and in local print classifieds.

All of this is due to tremendous support and guidance from a great group of raw feeders on Dog Food Chat. Hopefully the same group will show up here.

• jdatwood and Prey Model Raw like this

jdatwood

jdatwood

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRathdrum, ID

Hi Kathy!!  Glad to have you over here.  I'm really excited about this new evolution of PreyModelRaw

kathylcsw

kathylcsw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Thanks Jon. I am glad that you have started this new forum. Although I have been raw feeding for a year and a half I still have questions. I also like to help new raw feeders when I can. Especially those with toy and small dogs. Here's hoping that this forum enjoys decades of heavy traffic!

• jdatwood likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Kathy, I'm so proud of the confident, knowledgeable, well rounded raw feeder you've become! 

Now we just need some updated pictures of your kiddos! 

kathylcsw

kathylcsw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Kathy, I'm so proud of the confident, knowledgeable, well rounded raw feeder you've become! 

Now we just need some updated pictures of your kiddos! 

Thanks so much Natalie! I would logve to post pictures but cannot seem to figure out how to do. It says the ones from my computer are too big and won't accept the ones from Photobucket. Any help would be much appreciated.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I think Jon is getting everything sorted....This forum is new to me as well. 

What internet browser do you use? Do you have a PC or a Mac? 

kathylcsw

kathylcsw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

I think Jon is getting everything sorted....This forum is new to me as well. 

What internet browser do you use? Do you have a PC or a Mac? 

I have a PC and use Firefox. I will try to post pictures again when I get home.

• jdatwood likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I have a PC and use Firefox. I will try to post pictures again when I get home.

You should switch to using Google Chrome as your browser....it's much, much, much more user friendly! 

https://www.google.c...chrome/browser/

• jdatwood likes this

jdatwood

jdatwood

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRathdrum, ID

You should switch to using Google Chrome as your browser....it's much, much, much more user friendly! 

https://www.google.c...chrome/browser/

Agreed!  I used to be a BIG Firefox user but it's gotten bloated and slower over the years.  LOVE Chrome  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO