Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Explaining Pmr To People?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Tyz

Tyz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationWashington

I was curious how all of you approach raw food diets to your friends and family? 

I'm fairly well versed in animals but most of my friends and family are not and seem to look at me with a dumfounded look when i explain things to them about their pets. 

So how do you explain what PMR is and the benefits over processed food when talking to someone that has no idea what the difference from ol'roy and an all natural organic dog food is...

• abita, ggjgintw39, SurraTazy and 1 other like this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Luckily my family and a few friends have been understanding. I just tell people how much better my dogs are doing on the raw and tell them to come here if they show any interest. I tell them the proof is in the poop. :)

My biggest thing is not passing judgement on them for feeding kibble, because I hate the judgement that is put on raw feeders. :)
  • ggjgintw39 likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I tend to not bring it up unless someone asks about it. I remember being a newb to raw feeding and was so stoked to spread the word and "enlighten" EVERYONE......to only be met with suspicion and opposition regardless of what I would say. 

SO....if someone asks me about raw, I'm happy to help and explain. But to those people who don't ask what I feed, or how or why.....I don't say anything. I have found that if people are truly interested in learning about it, they'll be open to it. Those who have no interest in learning are shut down.

• ggjgintw39 likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
I do enjoy messing with the close minded people though. :)

Thinking my Facebook profile picture will be of the dogs chowing on a cow head. :)
  • Prey Model Raw, abita and ggjgintw39 like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

If someone asks, I just give them the basics on it, and answer more questions as they ask. 

• ggjgintw39 likes this

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

My answer is pretty much the same to everyone else's. Most people I have encountered have given me the "you're effin crazy look" so I don't bother. Unless they are genuinely interested then I don't ever say anything. The only person I "speak raw" with I know in person is my mother because I got her to switch over to pmr, she was feeding barf before and went back to kibble when she was tired of grinding bones.

It's usually a conversation ender for me :D

"hey you must really like liver if you're buying 5 lbs of it"

"oh no it's for my dogs they love it"

*silence as they hand me the bag over*

• Jordann and ggjgintw39 like this

Tyz

Tyz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationWashington

It's sad how close-minded people are to possible healthy options yet don't question feeding god knows what to their pets with all those grocery store brands  :(

peppersmom1889

peppersmom1889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAnchorage AK

With my family and friends they thought I was a little crazy at first, but they got used to the idea and saw the positive changes. Now my mom will come back from the grocery store sometimes with chicken feet as snacks for Pepper!

But like others have said, unless people ask about what I feed I don't mention it.

• Jordann likes this

abita

abita

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Locationnew orleans

I did have a nice encounter this weekend, at a local pet festival, where there were rescue groups, dog food vendors with a ton of samples, and AKC events.  It was nice to by pass all the dog food people and not collect all the samples like I used to.  When I stopped in the lab rescue tent, I saw a baggie of dried liver treats with chicken feet.  I picked it up, and the lady at the booth was hesitant.... she said, "I know that looks gross but some people like to feed a raw diet to their dogs."  I said, "yes, I do and I am glad to see raw-friendly treats here!"  When I said that her face lit up!  She did not feed raw herself but was interested.  Was a good experience :)

• naturalfeddogs, Jordann and yankecwgrl like this

Berna

Berna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

The fact that my dog looks amazing, is healthy and active, with a beautiful coat and white teeth, shuts their mouths :) They may disagree with raw feeding but they have no arguments. My dog has been fed raw for two years now and has never been sick from the raw meat he is getting. And obviously he lacks no vitamins / minerals. I also do a full blood panel every year to make sure he is healthy on the inside as well ;) He is turning 9 in July. 

• Jordann likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

As far as friends and family go, I have yet to have anyone take issue with it but, if they did, I'd just tell them, "Tough. You don't have to feed them so what's it matter to you?" For the most part, they are interested and, while not motivated to make the change for their own dogs, they find it interesting and are no longer afraid to give their dogs tidbits of raw meat when preparing a meal for the human members. My mom, in particular, has become very comfortable with tossing her Boxer a bite of ground beef here and there (before seasonings, of course) when she's making burger patties to throw on the grill or a small bite of fat on occasion when trimming a piece of beef. She doesn't feed raw, but she's lost her fear of her dog dying because he has been in the same room as raw meat (okay, I exaggerated that bit). 

At this point, I don't try to explain to the people you mentioned unless they actually WANT to learn. I've found that many people who feed the cheap kibbles just don't care and have no desire to change. The ones who ARE interested, though, I am thrilled to help them in any way I can whether it be finding a better kibble option, directing them towards raw reading materials, or giving them a step by step run through of what I do.

My issue, though, is that I feel like I have to explain it all and then it sounds scary to someone who has never fed raw before. I think I have managed to get it to a point where I can communicate that, while it may sound daunting at first, whether they hear my words or read someone else's, it does become second nature and just another part of your daily routine.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

My parents are the only ones in my family who don't know I feed raw. They are so stuck in their ways, and still just sold on purina being the best possible (beneful, to be exact) that they would just be mind blown and think I have lost my mind. They are in their early 80's, so there would be no changing their minds. My brother doesn't know either, because his big mouth would run right to them with it! lol!

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Naturalfeddogs, it took bad allergies and a vet to get my mom to switch even one of her dogs from Pedigree. Charlie is her BYB Boxer and they have struggled with allergies in that dog from day one. She loves her very dearly but, at the same time, she's still just a dog. She can break her rule and let Charlie sleep in the bed and call her "her baby" but she's still just a dog. I'm hoping that once my brothers are out of the house (7th grade and sophomore in high school), she'll be willing to invest a little more time in the nutrition of the WHOLE family, human or not. It might not be for Charlie by that point but she does want another Boxer in the future when Charlie's older (I believe she'll be 4 or 5 this year).

Ultimately, my mom's dogs are very, very loved (especially Charlie) and they are happy which is a far cry from what Truffles had when Nick and I almost hit her 4 Christmases ago. They might not eat like kings, but they have a home for life where they are loved and never have to worry about being abandoned (again, in Truffles' case).

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Yea, I wish my parents dogs had issues that their vet would tell them to change. But, the vets are the ones who have told them to feed purina, (surprise)! And yea, they do have a home for life and are loved, so it could be worse, for sure!

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

It does get hard to complain when one of the dogs they have was literally loose in a field that is a pretty common dumping site for unwanted animals, you know? Even if she's not getting fed the best food, it's a far cry from the situation she was in when we found her. Kind of like Lucky, I would imagine. She's the one you found too, right?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Yea, Lucky is the one we found on the road side. No telling what she ate before. 

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

I've learned to just keep my mouth shut and do what I feel is best for my dogs (I've tried to help people in the past, but they either disregard my advice or do something different than I suggested and claim my advice was not good for them...). Some people are genuinely interested and I give them a brief explanation of why I feed raw and how to start. The less you say, the more they can retain, so I try to hit the major points. 

• naturalfeddogs likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

I've actually had some people write down this site before so that they could look up the "How To" guide. The same guide is what got me through the transition so I've always recommended it to people who are truly interested.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

We have had a lot of people say stuff like " You feed your dogs raw meat? I bet you have some really mean dogs". Those I just tell them" my dogs have the same natural desire for raw that all dogs do, including yours". Then you can see them start to say something, but they stop and start to think and don't say anything. It's pretty funny.

• Jordann likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

We have had a lot of people say stuff like " You feed your dogs raw meat? I bet you have some really mean dogs". Those I just tell them" my dogs have the same natural desire for raw that all dogs do, including yours". Then you can see them start to say something, but they stop and start to think and don't say anything. It's pretty funny.

I love it!! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO