Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

New Raw Feeder

raw

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

AmandaR

AmandaR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Hi there!

I am brand spankin' new to this raw diet thing & have a rather simple question. I apologize ahead of time if it seems kind of duuuuhh-ish haha.

I have two boxers, Bruce 2 years, & Dez 10 months. Bruce is a healthy, muscular 66 lbs & Dez is a very petite, but still healthy, 40 lbs. We are on raw because of the numerous benefits obviously, & hoping to clear up some kibble induced allergies causing intense itching (& hair loss :().

I understand the 80-10-10 in regards to muscle meat, bones, organs, but the part of that ratio that confuses me is the bone portion. You don't want to separate the meat from the bone, correct? I read somewhere that they are more likely to choke if you do that. So if you were to give a chicken wing or leg, how exactly do you know how much bone is in that leg or wing etc? Is it kind of a guesstimation or should it be pretty exact? I just want to ensure my fur babies are getting a well balanced diet.

We purchased a kitchen scale so we will be weighing all of their portions out. So Bruce will be getting 1.06 lbs of muscle meat per day & .13 lbs  bone along with .13 organ. Can I just combine the 1.06 lbs & the .13lbs bone & make sure his meals consist of bone & meat that equal 1.19lbs?

Clearly, we're rookies over here. Any help on this issue/suggestions are very welcome!!

Amanda

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Welcome! Erica will be excited to see more Boxers! :)

The 80:10:10 is more of a guideline. Some dogs require more muscle and less bone. Others require less muscle and more bone. You are correct in not wanting to remove meat from the bone. Here things don't get weighed, but I am pretty good at guessing how much things weigh now. In the beginning I weighed a chicken quarter and a turkey neck, then got tired of washing the scale bowl all the time, so I began going off of the dogs' body condition. In the beginning you want to feed bone heavy meals, because this will help to avoid loose stool. You also want to remove skin and fat from the meat, also to help prevent loose stool. When buying chicken, make sure it has a sodium content of less than 75 mg per (I believe) 4 oz because that will cause (you guessed it!) loose stool.

When feeding, I don't focus on bone percentages, I just watch their poop. Too loose? Time for bonier pieces. Too crumbly, or they are straining really hard? More muscle meat. :)

I hope that answered your initial questions and didn't add any confusion!

Please ask any and all questions you have. We are here for you every step of the way! :)

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Here is an article I wrote awhile back.....the photo links are broken but that'll give you a guide to how much bone is in the more common RMBs (raw meaty bones) you'll be giving.

http://preymodelraw....o-raw-meaty-r15

• Jordann likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! Great to have you! Yes, you feed meat on the bone, no need to separate meat/bone. It just sort of adds to the meat/bone ratio. With that said, the 80-10-10 rule is a guideline. Each dog is an individual, and some will need more bone, some less. Let poops be your guide. It's easy to over think everything, and make it more difficult than it should be. In the beginning, meals should be pretty bone heavy. After you have transitioned through all the proteins, you will want mostly meat, some bones and some organs, roughly. I have two who can follow that advice fine, then I have two who need bone almost every meal. It just varies from dog to dog.

AmandaR

AmandaR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Awesome, thanks everyone for the very helpful responses! I'm so happy to have found this group, I know it will make the transition to raw much easier for all of us! We have been feeding just once per day, weighing out their meals, & watching their poop. Who knew that one day I'd be so interested in my dogs' feces? Haha!

Day 1 their stools were normal, day 2 our youngest had some serious diarrhea (otherwise known as cannon butt??) & our oldest was just fine, & now we are a whopping 3 days in & neither has gone. I'm hoping they both will go by the end of the night, but if they don't should I be concerned?? Because y'all are so helpful, I know that bone will loosen things up a bit, but are there any alternatives to bone? I'm not opposed to just giving more bone, I just would rather not have to wait until tomorrow evening for meal time. Surpsingly, that's the only question I have at the moment :P

Thanks in advance!

Amanda

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Just to clarify, bone actually firms their poop up. ;)

What have they eaten so far?

It took everything I had not to take pictures of their poop, and send it to people, when I began. :lol:

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

How are they both doing?

AmandaR

AmandaR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Oh my gosh! How could I have gotten that backwards? Ugh! Thanks for setting me straight. 

We just purchased several whole chickens & are cutting them up ourselves. We had to youtube the best way to do this as well as research what each part looked like as we took it out of the cavity haha. We have been giving chicken leg quarters, some breast meat, & some wings. Kind of anything that will get us to the weight we are aiming to feed. We have been taking the skin off as well because my two generally already have softer than usual poop.

Hahaha thats too funny (& too familiar!!) I definitely have been tempted to send a poo picture or two.  :D

Just to clarify, bone actually firms their poop up. ;)

What have they eaten so far?

It took everything I had not to take pictures of their poop, and send it to people, when I began. :lol:

AmandaR

AmandaR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

How are they both doing?

They are doing really well! They loooove the raw chicken, but we have to be careful because we are learning our littlest likes to swallow things whole. I was really hoping I wouldn't have a gulper, but looks like we do! Basically we just hold on to the bone & force her to chew it several times with her back molars. She's getting the hang of it. My 2 yo chews everything very thoroughly so not a problem there :).

They still haven't gone #2 yet, but I gave more meat this meal so hoping that will help get things moving. Their energy levels have been good & theyre loving the attention they get at meal time! The best part of this whole thing though?? Not one single deadly boxer fart! Hallelujah!!!  :lol:

• Prey Model Raw likes this

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

YES I AM EXCITED MORE BOXERS :D That means pix, asap ;) Welcome to the forum!!

Glad everything is going well. It def helps to freeze meats/feed bigger pieces for the younger one to slow down. It helped Max out and then he just was like "I don't like frozen stuff anymore" and now he eats so.damn.slow. lol. Not saying she will dramatically slow down but it taught max well! lol

Also, enjoy the chicken days while you can. When we moved on to pork the DEADLY farts came back, but it was really the FISH THAT GOT ME RUNNING OUTTA THE ROOM LOL. Again, it probably won't be the same, but once you find that food that gets them....either feed it in moderation or feed them outside and let them stay outside hahahah

• Jordann likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Glad to hear they're doing better! Keep us posted! 

AmandaR

AmandaR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Glad everything is going well. It def helps to freeze meats/feed bigger pieces for the younger one to slow down. It helped Max out and then he just was like "I don't like frozen stuff anymore" and now he eats so.damn.slow. lol. Not saying she will dramatically slow down but it taught max well! lol

Also, enjoy the chicken days while you can. When we moved on to pork the DEADLY farts came back, but it was really the FISH THAT GOT ME RUNNING OUTTA THE ROOM LOL. Again, it probably won't be the same, but once you find that food that gets them....either feed it in moderation or feed them outside and let them stay outside hahahah

Thank you for the warm welcome, Erica! As soon as I can figure out how to post pictures of them I will :)

I took your advice & fed her partially frozen chicken today & because she actually had to chew it she did much better. I think when it's all slimy its easier for her to just decide to swallow before chewing. Silly pups! 

NOOOOOO  :unsure:  don't tell me that... My boyfriend & I have SO been enjoying our fresh smelling home again. Ugh! They have always been above average on the stink scale, so I'm so not looking forward to the new proteins. But, thanks for the heads up! 

P.S Super cute babies!! I just want to smoosh those squishy faces  :lol:

• Jordann and Erica like this

AmandaR

AmandaR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I finally figured out the picture uploading, so I obviously went a little overboard ;) ... But my wigglebutts are up :)

• Jordann likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: raw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO