Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Got Deer!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

My brother-in-law got a six point yesterday, and brought the whole deer to us! Wayne is going to get it all butchered up for both us and the dogs! WOOO HOOO!!  :jig:

• Prey Model Raw, Jordann, ggjgintw39 and 1 other like this

flossboss

flossboss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Wow!  What a score!  Enjoy (and I know your dogs will)!!!!  Wish we lived somewhere near good hunting.

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

They were so full last night, they could barely walk! They all layed around and slept really well! 

My brother-in-law called last night and said he got another one, but it ran off and he's going back out early this morning to look for it again. It got dark on him yesterday. If he finds it, there's another one! He and his wife don't even eat deer anymore. They have had so much over the years they are both pretty sick of it, so he said he's hunting for us. Fine by me!

• Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
What a score!!!!

My boys LOVE deer and elk. It's better than beef, here! :)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

As usual, deer is a huge hit! But........OMG. I forgot how bad the house fills with deer fart.  :startle: You walk in our house, and get knocked backwards! Yuck! Oh well, I guess the positives out weigh the negatives, right?? It is just for a little while each year. 

• Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
I guess your cold is going away? If you can smell again ... Sorry it's not a good reintroduction to smelling. :lol:

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

LOL! Yea, fortunantly/unfortunantly my cold is gone!  :lol: I better get used to fart aroma. We have another deer in the barn to cut today. It's a small doe that was poached and already gutted. It smells fine, but we aren't entirely sure how long it layed in the woods yesterday, and the temperature was around the mid 60's. We want to share it with the dogs, but it Wayne is at all "iffy" about the meat, it will be all for the dogs. 

• Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Are you allowed to pick up deer from the side of the road? I know you can in Idaho, as long as you fill out a form ... May take a drive to Idaho, in Washington you can't take ANYTHING. The Wolf Haven doesn't take the meat if there's not a known time of death ... More than 4 hours old? They pass on the meat .... I remember when I was an emergency dispatcher they turned down so much deer and elk. It was frustrating!

Yay, bring on the farts! :lol:

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

I don't think we are really allowed, but given the chance we would. Wayne and I stopped and checked out a road kill deer several months ago. Clearly, it had been there entirely to long. The smell knocked us both out as soon as the window rolled down. But killed at the right time, you bet we would throw one in the back of the truck in a heartbeat! "Deer? What deer? where?" LOL! :devil:

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Naughty naughty! :)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

:devil:  :devil:  :devil:

• Jordann likes this

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Stupid question of the day:deer is considered a red meat right? My co-worker's brother-in-law has a ranch a couple hours away and would be willing to give me some deer since he doesn't eat it (purely recreational, it seems).

Can I skip pork and throw in deer if its red meat?

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Yes, deer is red meat. :)

Just treat it like any new protein and go slowly when introducing. :) Deer and elk are major favorites around here!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Deer is considerably richer than pork, so if you feed it in place of pork, go very very slowly. Pork is a red meat, but a "milder" red meat as far as richness goes, which is why pork is used as the first red meat to feed. 

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Thanks for the replies. I'm getting about 5lbs of ground deer in a couple weeks from a friend who found it in her freezer. Can I transition her with that or would it be better to wait for the scrap meat and organs from my co-worker next month?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Sure. Ground isn't always ideal, but if it's free transition with it just like any other protein. It's still deer, they just aren't getting the benefits of tearing chunks. The scrap meats will just be even better! 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
I love when people find old meats! :)

My father-in-law saved the ribs, legs, and spine and cut them into manageable sizes for my boys .... Guess he didn't believe I was fine with throwing the whole thing out to them. :lol: He also saved me the scraps! LOVE hunting season!

I hope Abby loves (and can handle!) deer!!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Awesome!!  :thumbsu:

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Have the deer farts calmed down, Jenny? Or have you guys just acclimated? :lol:

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

I haven't experienced deer farts from Abby, but her poo...whew! She got 0.3oz serving of deer last night and her poo is still solid (crossing fingers) because I went heavy on the duck necks. Tonight, she got chicken quarter, duck necks, duck heart, chicken gizzards and 0.5oz of ground bambi. Not looking forward to the poo so much right now. XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO