Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Starting Pmr And A Cat With Bad Teeth.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

JessnJessie

JessnJessie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUSA
Hi again.

Now, about my cats... I have the rare, not picky, will eat anything, cats. They love their meat. Right now they are also eating the same raw ground mix my dogs are. I have also given them chicken wings, which they golbled up without any problem, even my new kitten. :)
I will probably start these guys the same as my dogs? Chicken wings and boneless chicken? I know they need heart for the taurine? How often should I give them that? When should I start giving them heart? Eventually I want to give them whole prey, like mice. Only if I can get over my squeamishness. Haha (I have pet rats so I'm a little upset about feeding them mice, but I know they will love it. So I will probably do it :))

I do have one cat I'm concerned with. He's one of the reasons I switched my animals to raw in the first place. He has feline stomatitis. http://www.mypetsden...-stomatitis.pml His isn't as bad as the ones in these pictures, because of his diet on raw. It was pretty bad when he was eating dry. There is some pain still in his mouth, so when I can no longer get the same ground meat, after I move, does anyone have a sugguestion on what I could feed him that would really help and even improve his disease? Also keep him healthy? Thank you!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Oh my gosh, that looks so painful!

My cat is apparently one of the common "won't eat anything but certain kibble brands" cat ... Our last one ate anything she was offered ... Pineapple was a favorite. :lol:

I have no pointers for starting cats, as my turd refuses to do more than lick the dogs' food and eat a tiny piece of turkey, when I break down whole birds. Someone else will be able to help you. :)

JessnJessie

JessnJessie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUSA

Oh my gosh, that looks so painful!

My cat is apparently one of the common "won't eat anything but certain kibble brands" cat ... Our last one ate anything she was offered ... Pineapple was a favorite. :lol:

I have no pointers for starting cats, as my turd refuses to do more than lick the dogs' food and eat a tiny piece of turkey, when I break down whole birds. Someone else will be able to help you. :)

It is pretty painful for the kitties. :( I heard it could be manged with diet, so that's why I switched to raw and he's doing so good! A little bit of pain, but a lot better then before. I am hoping/dreaming/wishing that maybe it could get better with better food! :)
That's to bad, about your cat. Lol! Mine really will eat anything. Even vegatables. Haha!!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
What's even more odd is she is 16 pounds ... Should probably be 12-13. We got her from the local pound and she was even bigger, but since she has been going outside, she has dropped a tiny bit of weight. So I have a picky, fat cat. Go figure.

I hope doing PMR will help get some strength back into those teeth, or at least keep them where they are currently!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Cats seem to be much less sensative to new proteins than dogs. You can start with chicken, and then with mine I just let them have whatever I was giving the dogs, and they did just fine. Mice are about the best source for taurine as far as whole prey goes. Heart is the other best source. So, really the more of that the better. Maybe give a little heart with each meal, and whole mice as well a few times a week. With that, I think you would be fine. You are lucky to have not picky cats!

• Jordann likes this

JessnJessie

JessnJessie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUSA
Thanks guys for the information! :)

JessnJessie

JessnJessie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUSA
Hi again, so I was rereading the "getting started guide", It is ok to do the same method with cats as it is with dogs, right? I know you said cats may adjust faster then dogs After a few weeks of doing the different protein sources and everything is going ok, is when I would start feeding them organs? Then I can do whole prey too? Thank you! :)

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Everything I had read on starting cats seems to be feed them whatever they will eat first, but since your weirdo cats ( :P ) like anything, I would start out with chicken first, but like I've said before, my cat is a jerk and refuses anything but kibble. :lol:

JessnJessie

JessnJessie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUSA
Thank you! :D Just wanted to make sure I understand everything before I start. I always thought it was a curse to have cats that will eat anything. Lol! I can't leave anything out, not even the chicken food, or the rats veggies. :P Glad they will eat though, so they will be healthier. :)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

I say go with small amounts of any protein or organ. Cats just seem to adjust so well. Start small at first to be safe, but I think you will be fine.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Well there ya go ... Told ya I had no clue! :lol:

JessnJessie

JessnJessie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUSA

I say go with small amounts of any protein or organ. Cats just seem to adjust so well. Start small at first to be safe, but I think you will be fine.

I will give that a try. I was worried that if I started with only bone-in meat, that they would be deficient in the other things they need, like taurine. I will start small, like you said. I think they will be fine. :) Thank you!!
  • naturalfeddogs and Jordann like this

JessnJessie

JessnJessie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUSA
Haha, Jordan :D

Sorry about the double post, my phone is lagging. ):

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Fixed it. ;)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

How have things been going?

JessnJessie

JessnJessie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUSA
Thank you Jordann!! :)

I finished the raw I was feeding my pets and moved onto wings last night. My cats can eat them without any problems. :) They even had a little bit of heart. My cat with the bad teeth, Bruce, can eat the wings too! It takes him a very long time though. He also has a very hard time chewing the fatty pieces. I guess I will have to cut them up better? They are to gummy. What does everyone think?

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
I'm so jealous! lol

I can't wait to see how they handle whole prey!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Try smashing them with a hammer or kitchen mallet before feeding so they're a gloppy mass of meat and bone, but all still attached and one piece

JessnJessie

JessnJessie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUSA

I'm so jealous! lol

I can't wait to see how they handle whole prey!

I don't think I will have a problem. Hehe!! ;)

JessnJessie

JessnJessie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUSA

Try smashing them with a hammer or kitchen mallet before feeding so they're a gloppy mass of meat and bone, but all still attached and one piece

Thank you. I will give it a try. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO