Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

A Couple Of Questions...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

lanahuskyx

lanahuskyx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi all! Things are going great so far! We're just finishing up the second week and Lana has definitely gotten over the confusion of the first couple of days. I do have a couple of questions though:

-I got a good deal on some turkey drumsticks. When I was looking at them, the bones seem a bit larger and denser than the chicken quarters. Should these be okay to give her? She's a 50 pound husky, but a somewhat dainty eater. She's chomped all the bones we've given her, but she chews them purposefully and slowly. I'm worried they might be too much for her or hurt her teeth?

-Skin. We've been leaving all the skin on the quarters as we feed her. At first she was like "um, no" but now she's getting pretty good at methodically chewing it. I'm wondering, if she's eating skin most days, is that too much fat content for her? I am not sure how much fat she should be getting every day on this diet, and I'm worried about pancreatitis, etc. (I am a worrier)

-Lastly, with the chicken quarters, we've been feeding her one per day, and since they're between 1-1.5 pounds, that's been her only meal. It's been an adjustment, because she's used to eating twice a day. I would like to get her back to eating twice a day, but I'm not sure how to do this while keeping her eating just 1-1.5 pounds of food. Going forward, as we introduce more proteins and eventually mix it up, any suggestions on how to break her meals up more? I'm probably just overthinking it. 

Thanks for any guidance!

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Sounds like you're doing well. :) Yes, turkey bones are considerably larger than chicken bones, but your dog should be fine eating them. My dog is about the same size as yours and does fine with turkey bones.

I have always left skin on the meat I feed my dog (unless its already absent when I get it). Fat is a good source of energy--a necessary component. I've even fed chucks of fat (bigger than my hand) to my dogs.

I only feed my dog one meal per day. Two meals per day IS possible. Since a quarter is a leg and thigh, you could cut them into two pieces and feed in two different meals. Meals can be different sizes (i.e. one large meal in the morning and small one in the afternoon/evening). I'm lazy, so one meal is easier than two (though I have fed multiple meals per day).

One thing that helps me is to think of wolves (as depicted in wildlife documentaries). They usually hunt down large prey and feast. They gorge and wait until their next meal... whenever that might be. They are not always successful, so they may not even eat daily. That in mind, my dog is a lucky duck that doesn't have to chase down and "bring down" [kill] his food, nor does he worry about whether he'll be able to find more game (b/c mommy can drive to the grocery store).

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions as needed! :)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Turkey bones are considerably denser than chicken. I have stopped giving turkey drumsticks since two of mine have broken a couple teeth on them. My dogs are about the same size as yours. I do however still give necks and thighs. Both of those are much easier, especially necks. They do fine with them.

As long as poops are looking good, the skin as often as you are feeding it should be fine. Its fat, and dogs do need it. 

Mine are roughly the size of yours, and when they get quarters they get two each. Occasionally if I feed twice a day,  I will give one in the morning and their regular two in the evening. You would probably be fine feeding one in the am, and then one in the pm if you want to break it up like that. If you feel like you need to increase it, just add one to one of the meals. ( if that makes sense).

Once you move on to other proteins, you can do the same with one protein in the am, a different in the pm. You can be creative and feed according to what and how seems to work for your dog.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Mine are roughly the size of yours, and when they get quarters they get two each. Occasionally if I feed twice a day,  I will give one in the morning and their regular two in the evening. You would probably be fine feeding one in the am, and then one in the pm if you want to break it up like that. If you feel like you need to increase it, just add one to one of the meals. ( if that makes sense).

It depends on the size of the meat. Some quarters I get are a good pound or more, while others were only about half a pound. Big difference! :startle:

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Some are different some in size, but not so much to make that big of a difference, at least for me. Unless there single smaller pieces added, and even then I may through it in with one of their meals. I don't worry about exact amounts and such, I just eyeball and know which of my dogs will do fine with a touch more or maybe less. 

lanahuskyx

lanahuskyx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Thanks for the help guys! We haven't done any drumsticks yet because I'm still kind of nervous about it. She had a neck and some breast meat two nights ago (these were smallish turkeys, around 14 pounds) and was pretty good with it, but surprised me in how cautious she was about eating it. It was like starting at the beginning again! I thought there would be no difference from that and the chicken. She's a silly girl for sure. 

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Dogs can detect differences much easier than we can. Once she learns its something good, she'll probably be gulping it down. ;) Are you able to get turkey gizzards? I bought some for Pa Gaw recently--boy were they pretty!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO